Are you thinking of relocating to an affordable suburban area in Arizona? You’re not the only one. Over 200,000 new residents arrive in Arizona every year with no signs of slowing down. Arizona is known for its lower cost of living, year-round sunny days, and booming economy. With so many popular metropolitan areas to choose from in the nation, it’s no wonder that Phoenix is considered one of the 10 top cities to live in. Phoenix is part of Maricopa County which is made up of many desirable suburbs, including the Ahwatukee Foothills. Considered one of the best suburbs in Arizona, it is a great choice for families looking for a bedroom community near the sought-after amenities that Phoenix offers.
One of the Best Suburbs in Arizona
Phoenix is a favored city that attracts tourists and new residents from all over the world. However, few people are aware that the Phoenix area contains several hidden gems in the suburbs that are even better than city life. According to a recent study initiated by Niche.com, the responses, reviews, and data gathered from the FBI, US Census Bureau, and the Department of Education revealed that Ahwatukee Foothills is one of the best places to live in Phoenix. It was rated higher than the city of Phoenix and given an A+ rating on several factors including jobs, housing costs, crime, and quality education!
Although Ahwatukee Foothills may not be considered the most expensive neighborhood in Phoenix, its housing is over 10% higher than the Phoenix area average. Pricing is still over 25% lower than downtown Phoenix, with hundreds of affordable luxury apartment options. Transportation is available for residents without vehicles or looking for car services.
Reasons to Move to the Ahwatukee Foothills
Ahwatukee Foothills is a hidden gem and a local secret of good living in the Phoenix area. With a population of over 84,000, it is a suburban area located in Maricopa County. Most residents own their homes and appreciate the variety of parks and outdoor activities well suited for young families. Now that the secret is out, we’ll share why it’s an ideal neighborhood to relocate to:
- Location – Nestled in Maricopa County near Phoenix’s major highways, vibrant nightlife and entertainment are just a quick drive away into the city! Expect to wake up to picturesque and unobstructed views of the surrounding mountains and spend the day at Desert Hills Park. Conveniently located, the family can spend time enjoying outdoor concerts, shaded playgrounds, and soccer and football fields.
- Growth – Like much of Arizona, growth in the suburban area of Ahwatukee Foothills is expected to continue to expand. New residential developments are ongoing with luxury apartments and single-family homes. Live a life of opulence at Carlyle apartments featuring a resort lifestyle lined with palm trees, Spanish architecture, and panoramic city views.
Median home prices start at $350,000 with rental rates at $1,591. Prior to the current expansive growth, the master-planned community consisted of ranches and has managed to maintain much of the original and unblemished desert character it was developed on. For this reason, the village of Ahwatukee attracts celebrities and athletes looking to settle in the foothills of South Mountain.
- Lifestyle – The Southern Arizona lifestyle is one of the incredible sunsets over mountain views with a touch of luxury. It’s common to see residents participating in outdoor activities that provide front row seats to panoramic views like jogging, walking, cycling, hiking, horseback riding, kayaking, and fishing.
South Mountain Park has a number of trails waiting to be explored alongside its canyons and foothills. Mountain biking and hiking paths are well marked and within reach for every fitness level. It is one of the largest managed parks in the country, covering an area of over 16,000 acres and more than 50 miles of trails. It is home to three mountain ranges including The Gila, The Ma Ha Tauk, and The Guadalupe Ranges.
Other activities include outdoor markets, concerts, and festivals like Oktoberfest and the biannual Festival of the Arts located in Tempe Town Lake. It is a local hub for fun-filled recreation like sailing and kayaking. For golf enthusiasts, The Foothills Golf Club serves as a great way to relax with friends and colleagues on a championship course featuring rolling fairways, blue lakes, trees, and 65 bunkers. It is perfect for any skill level and is listed as one of Phoenix’s best golf courses.
- Eateries & lounges – Within Ahwatukee Foothills is a lively array of eateries and lounges to satisfy everyone in your group. Wine connoisseurs will appreciate The Living Room’s extensive international wine list. The wine and bar lounge opens at brunch and serves patrons till late at night with plush outdoor and indoor seating. Arrive for the sushi, appetizers, snacks, paninis, and salads but stay for the cocktails.
The Arizona outdoor lifestyle encourages healthy living and Pomegranate Cafe is a perfect representation of the Ahwatukee Foothills health-conscious community. This local favorite features a tasty vegan menu, including homemade organic pastries. When you’re looking for more excitement, you’ll find it at Cactus Jacks. This dive bar has a variety of live music all week with events like neighborhood barbecues and dance parties. If you’re feeling like a star, you’ll want to explore karaoke nights!
- Education & employment – A suburban area is ideal for educational and employment opportunities. It should be no surprise that the Ahwatukee Foothills is home to the award-winning Kyrene School District serving the local community. Top-ranked options for schools include The BASIS, Horizon Honors, and the Summit School of Ahwatukee charter schools for local residents along with Tempe Union High School.
Multinational corporations are also within reach with employment opportunities available for Honeywell, Wells Fargo, and Intel within the community of Ahwatukee. Due to its centralized location relative to Scottsdale, Tempe, and downtown Phoenix, there are plenty of employment opportunities nearby.
Ahwatukee Foothills is Perfect for Families
The Ahwatukee Foothills community is ideally located for everything! This coveted suburban area is in the heart of Arizona and a couple of hours from the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Tucson, and Sedona. For more exploration, a few hours of driving will bring you to Tombstone and the Chiricahua Mountains. No matter what direction you choose to explore, you will be surrounded by incredible and colorful mountain views you won’t find anywhere else.
Ahwatukee Foothills is one of the newest and best suburbs in Arizona with pristine landscaping, unique homes, and clean yards. Most of the older homes have been renovated and modernized, standing the test of time for over 50 years. The streets are well lit and lined with lush greenery that provides strategic shading.
We Serve the Best Suburbs in Arizona
Before making the move to a suburban area in Arizona, we recommend partnering with a seasoned expert on the area and what it has to offer. Jeff Barchi has been serving the surrounding community for over 20 years and is a long-time resident with unmatched insight. As one of the top leading real estate agents in the country, Barchi can provide a comprehensive perspective on the pros and cons of relocating to Ahwatukee Foothills and other exclusive communities. Some of the areas The Barchi Team serves are:
- Paradise Valley
Whether you’re looking for a luxury condo or multimillion-dollar estate, The Jeff Barchi Team is here to help. Give us a call today to discuss new homes in these areas!