Have you ever considered moving to Arizona and purchasing a condo in Tempe? There’s a reason why Tempe AZ is one of the best 100 places to live. There are a few. This 40-mile wide area will give you city living vibes with a small-town peace of mind. Tempe’s steady growth and attractive lifestyle is well known to its population of over 164,000 residents and counting. We thought it would be a good idea to share this hidden gem’s secrets with those who are thinking about relocating to a condo in Tempe.
Is Tempe AZ a Good Place to Live
When you find a condo for sale in Tempe AZ that you are interested in, conduct research on the nearby schools, neighborhoods, and real estate market. Taking a tour of the area on a vacation or business trip will help you get a better idea of the area and all it has to offer. For now, take a look at some of these secrets of Tempe AZ you may not be aware of:
- Education – Who hasn’t heard of Arizona State University? You may not know that it is based in Tempe and is one of the best and largest employers in the state after the University of Arizona. Yes, there is more than one quality higher education location to choose from. If you have a college-bound son or daughter, this is a great opportunity to live in a growing area with a quality education system. ASU has more than 82,000 students and the University of Arizona has over 44,000. Although the University of Arizona is located in Tucson, both universities offer a variety of highly-rated undergraduate and graduate programs and certificate opportunities.
ASU has recently modernized its 75,000 seat Sun Devil Stadium where all football games are played. Education is highly valued in this area, with over 42% of residents of Tempe AZ obtaining a bachelor’s degree and over 92% have graduated high school. Almost 20% of residents have earned a doctorate degree. There are numerous trade schools and community colleges to choose from as well as a primary and secondary education school district and academies.
- Lifestyle – One of the most important and impressive aspects of living in Tempe AZ is its public transportation system. You’ll find a several options from free Orbit shuttles to trains that connect residential locations to the most in-demand local hot spots. Also rated as a “very bikeable” city by Walkscore.com, you’ll be tempted to take a bike ride around the city rather than public transit. With beautiful weather year-round, it’s no surprise that so many annual events are held in Tempe. Popular attractions like the Ironman Triathlon and the Rock n’ Roll Arizona Marathon are hosted yearly and lure fitness enthusiasts from all over the country.
For families, there are dozens of stunning parks to choose from for gatherings and fun BBQs. Enjoy water sports activities at the Tempe Beach Park or enjoy the beautiful views at Kiwanis Park. When you feel like shopping, the Tempe Marketplace, Arizona Mills, or the Tempe Square Shopping Center are some of the best places to go. With so many transportation and recreational options available, you can see why the quality of living in Tempe AZ is so high.
The cost of living in Tempe is significantly lower by 3.3% of the national average. According to CNN, the median cost of living is a little over $67,000 with the average cost of a home at $130,000. Luxury 2 bedroom apartments go for as little as $1600 with the total cost of utilities varying depending on size. You’ll likely see higher water and air conditioning costs due to the high heat.
- Employment – Tempe is home to several large employers like GoDaddy, State Farm, Amazon, Honeywell, Qualcomm, Safeway, Wells Fargo, and Arizona State. However, its top employers are educational institutions that contribute to the city’s lower than average 4.5% unemployment rate. Even during the pandemic, it remained significantly lower than the national average, which is a testament to its strong and thriving economy.
- Climate – You can’t go wrong with year-round sunny days! That’s what you can expect when you live in Tempe AZ. The average year-long temperature is consistently between 70 – 80 degrees with an average high temperature of 105 degrees. In the cooler, winter months, you can expect 35 degrees, which is typical for desert climates. If rainfall is not your preference, you’re in luck since Tempe only receives an average of a little over 9 inches annually.
- Neighborhoods – Tempe borders both Scottsdale and Chandler. It is also conveniently located next to Phoenix. The area of North Tempe is very densely populated due to ASU but South Tempe is more family-oriented with less density. The Tempe Town Lake is the center of recreation where you’ll find a wide variety of walking trails and scenic biking paths. Central Tempe has a more urban feel and popular attractions. South Tempe boasts larger and pricier homes with top-rated schools. You’ll also find the ASU Research Park here.
Looking for a Condo in Tempe AZ
If you’re looking for an Arizona condo for sale, Tempe AZ is a great place to start and relocate to. Before taking the big step, you’ll want to do plenty of research on the specific schools and neighborhoods that you are interested in. Relocation can be challenging so volunteering with non-profit organizations can help you meet the network and build relationships quickly.
Still, it always helps to make those connections before making the move. Being connected to a knowledgeable Tempe real estate agent can make a big difference in how quickly you settle into your new home. A good realtor will know the schools and neighborhoods like the back of their hands and be able to provide guidance based on your preferences.
One of the most important aspects of relocation is registering a vehicle in the new city you are moving to. The Arizona Department of Transportation conveniently located in Tempe AZ is where you can take care of registration and licensing. While vision tests are required of all new residents to the area, a license can be issued without a written or driving test for $25.
Meet Your Tempe Real Estate Agent
Tempe is a great place to live and has been the location for many nationally renowned events like the presidential debates and the SuperBowl. It is also the home of spring training for the Los Angeles Angels. An experienced and informed Tempe real estate agent can help you find the best deals. As an Arizona resident and nationally ranked top 1% leading real estate agent, Jeff Barchi has helped thousands of new residents find condos for sale in Tempe. Here are just a few of the communities that have current availability:
- Lofts at Orchidhouse
- Regatta Pointe
- The Vale
- Skye 15
- Hayden Square
- Farmer Avenue Lofts
- Brownstone at Hyde Park
On average, Jeff Barchi closes 50 transactions per year with most homes purchased 5% below comparable homes in the same area. If you’re selling in Arizona, Jeff Barchi can help you sell your home in half the time it normally takes. For over 20 years, we have been serving Arizona residents and beyond.
Give us a call today to start your condo search in Tempe!